Disclaimer

Disclaimer: The thoughts presented in this blog are solely my own and are in no way the thoughts or beliefs of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

First Few Days in Village

I have moved into my new hut/home.  Its a two bedroom and living room mud structure with an outdoor latrine and shower.  Although, shower really means a short wall that is enclosed on three and a half sides where I take a bucket bath.  The latrine is brand new which is awesome because cockroaches have not yet invaded.  My hut also came with three pretty cool chairs made out of twigs.  I have a pretty big courtyard with a big tree but no gate so children come and go as they please.  That made me really uncomfortable at first but now I am glad because I want my village to feel comfortable approaching me.  For the first week I rode my bike around my community with my Major (Head nurse of my CSPS, or health clinic) and greeted all of the elders, pastors, and community leaders in and around my village.  Throughout these excursions, I accumulated ten chickens, 19 eggs (two of which one of my chickens laid), a sack of rice, some raw mystery meat, two beers, two calabashes (half gourds) of dolo (locally produced cider/beer/ale).  Again, feeling like a rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment